Yu Quyuan (1821 - 1907), a great master in Confucian studies from the Qing Dynasty, had two houses in Hangzhou: one at Santai Hill and the other by West Lake. The latter is better known as Yu's House. It was first built in 1878 and rebuilt in 1998. The renovated home serves as Yu's memorial hall.
Born in Deqing, Zhejiang, Yu, whose courtesy name was Yinfu, was better known by his literary name Quyuan. Becoming a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations in 1850 and promoted junior compiler in the Imperial Academy in 1852, he was appointed as Provincial Education Commissioner in Henan in 1855.
After his eventual dismissal from office, he devoted himself to academic research, while serving as Dean of Ziyang Academy, Qiuzhi Academy and Gujing Academy respectively. Skilled at paleography, he was a prolific writer. He established himself as a great master of his time in the textual study of the Chinese classics. The house was built with funds raised by his pupils and friends.
Address: No.32, Gushan (Solitary Hill) Road, Hangzhou