Harboring over 500 pieces of stone steles spanning from the Tang Dynasty to the late of the Qing Dynasty, it is the largest stone sculpture museum in Zhejiang Province.
Brief of Forest of Stone Steles, Hangzhou
Located at the foot of Wu Hill, southeast of West Lake, Hangzhou Stele Forest is restored from a Confucius Temple, which used to be the imperial school of Hangzhou from the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1279) to the Qing Dynasty (1636-1911). Originally, this Confucius Temple possessed a large number of stone tablets. Since 1949, newly discovered stone tablets have been placed here. In 1978, Hangzhou Stele Forest was founded and officially opened to the public in 1989.
Covering an area of 3,500 square meters and harboring over 500 pieces of stone steles spanning from the Tang Dynasty (618-907) to the late of the Qing Dynasty (1636-1911), Hangzhou Stele Forest is the largest stone sculpture museum in Zhejiang Province.
From personal inscriptions of emperors to masterpieces of famous calligraphist, they will mesmerize you instantly. Without exception, they possess high historical, scientific and artistic values. It is eye-pleasing to puzzle over these delicate artworks.